Marseille’s Cathedral de la Major, whose real name is Cathédrale Sainte-Marie Majeure, is one of the city’s most emblematic monuments.
Built in a Byzantine style, it is one of the largest churches in France. It was built over 40 years, between 1852 and 1893, at a time when Marseille was the leading port in France and served as a stopover for ships from all over the world.
Visible from the sea, the Sainte-Marie-Majeure Cathedral is located away from the city centre, on an esplanade between the Vieux-Port, Panier and Joliette districts, a stone’s throw from the MuCEM and Fort Saint-Jean. At its feet, the vaults, recently renovated, have now become the HQ of the trendy Marseillais thanks to very trendy bars and restaurants.